Sunday, June 9, 2013

Getting the Job Done: Buddy-Writing with the #FastDraft Six Pack

I recently wrote about a buddy write event, one I was invited to join by my friend SK Falls.

The purpose of #FastDraft is to get the writing done, to cheer on our team mates, to have an excuse to sit down and put our stories first.

And I am loving every minute of it.

I wear a lot of hats--I have a full-time job outside the home, I have two kids, a husband, and a dog (okay, four kids), and I've been the household deity since we signed the deed. A part of me always feels a little guilty when I sit down to write because there is always other work waiting for me.

That's why it's all too easy to come up with an excuse to avoid writing. Unfortunately, however, it's not a hobby anymore. I have deadlines.

This #FastDraft project is writing time. It's inspiration. It's fun. And it's an excuse to get the words out of my head and into the document, where they belong. I'd never have gotten so much writing done, otherwise.

And...in case you are thinking What's with all the hashtagging? it's because we are all busy checking in on Twitter. We announce writing sprints, check in on each other's goals, and pretty much just pal around. The best part is that we are all doing this around the interruptions of our lives and our responsibilities. (For instance, I had to duck out today to perform litter detail/road clean-up with our local Boy Scout troop. Yesterday, I went to see Star Trek. My eyes are still tingling from the awesomeness.)

But these "interruptions" made it possible for me to see a new potential pattern for my writing. Usually, I opt for several hours when no one else is home, then enduring long writing black-outs when I go to work or when my family is home. But these little sprints showed me something else--I can write throughout the day in short bursts, getting a scene done here and there. My word counts don't have to freeze just because someone came home.

So, I'd like to introduce you to the #FastDraft writers. These are the gals who have been helping me get the job done.
 
FAST DRAFT SIX-PACK:
Adriana Ryan @skfallssc
A.G. Henley @AG_Henley
Ash Krafton @ashkrafton
Jennah Scott @jennah_scott
Kristin McFarland @KayMcFarland
Shauna Granger @dyingechoes

If you are on Twitter, please follow these writers and even drop us a note of encouragement. Remember to use #FastDraft in your Tweet.

And if you are a writer, and we've encouraged you to get some writing done, join us in a sprint or two. The more the merrier! Make time for you and your story, one sprint at a time.

Hope you'll join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!